Monday, November 30, 2009

For the Bathroom: KITCHEN cabinets??


Here's something this rookie do-it-yourselfer did not know until this weekend. Having to shift gears slightly because of our toilet blow-out this weekend, we are now considering what to replace all of the damaged parts of our home with. We took a wee trip to Home Depot looking for a new vanity for the bathroom.

I have to say straight out that I was disappointed with the products that they had in stock; although they have some cute-ish items online. I asked in the store if they had anymore vanities that I could maybe chose from - something that could be ordered in and the associate I was speaking with didn't think so.

However! This is the fun new thing that I learned: you can just pick out a kitchen cabinet maker or style that you love and can afford and have the appropriate pieces ordered to go into your bathroom as a vanity! Who knew? Apart from making sure that the materials used can withstand the added moisture of a bathroom - the appearance of a vanity done this way seems to be of a higher quality standard (one of the ready-made vanities that we were looking at already was broken and you could see how thin the particle board was that the whole unit was resting on - not promising).

At this point the associate gave me not one or two brochures, but SIX to choose from mostly differing in quality and price from one another. How happy. Obviously, any other cabinet maker from any other store would very likely be able to do the same thing!

I am hoping that price doesn't kill this idea. I can't imagine a small bank of their pieces killing us price-wise, but you never know. I found a style that had that beaded board finish in the centre of each door. It really is so sharp-looking and I don't think it will date all that fast, although who would have ever thought that everyone's solid oak cabinetry from the 80s would look so,.... well - 80s??

Well, I am off to figure out what and how much, and when, and where to order this stuff from.

If I can do it, you can too.

Project Mama

1 comment:

  1. A vanity is simply a base cabinet with feet or a kickboard and a countertop. Nothing special about "vanities" unless you're looking for something that is shallower than the standard 24" depth.

    Checkout Ikea cabinets. We did our kitchen in Ikea and it is great. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete