Saturday, November 28, 2009

Just when you think you're getting ahead...

Early morning hockey practice.  Kids up at 6am.  Trying to snug up hockey pants when I hear a splattering sound coming from our main bathroom.  I think that my littlest has left the tap on (God knows why I thought that - I have to berate my children to wash their hands....), so I ask hubby to go turn the tap off while I am snugging up said pants.  He doesn't hear what I say, so I head up stairs to find 3 inches of water standing in our main bathroom and drifting out onto the hallway carpet.  How does a room act like a wading pool?  I really have no idea - except to say that it actually doesn't. 

As it turns out, water has a way of following gravity and heading down.  My husband had to turn off the water, but it was WAY too late.  We put every single towel we own, which is a significant number, on this puddle, and then went downstairs to see if there was any coming through into the family room. 

Our family room has the only significant updates in our house.  Last year, we (not ourselves!) did the flooring, the walls, changed the door, and have been loving it.  Well, the room that we love now has gallons of water pouring through the ceiling onto the brand new bamboo flooring, the furniture (who cares), and of all things - through our light fixtures.  Really.  Our light fixtures? 

My six year old was running around with the equivalent of tissues trying to stop the deluge.  It's like putting a pebble in a leaky dam.  He kept saying that he just wanted to help his house. 

Meanwhile the ceiling is turning from white to grey as the water is slowing finding it's level. 

Clearly this is not a job for a do-it-yourselfer.  I called our insurance people (lovely), who told me all the things we needed to do (mostly not to get electricuted) and now we are waiting for the lovely emergency contractor to come over and dry 'er out.

I guess this is the "hold-on-to-it-lightly" blog today.  Admittedly, this sucks.  What a crazy mess.  Yet, really - our lives - where I can write and read blogs, watch movies, play with my kids, make nice dinners.  It's good. 

Now, I'm going to get changed so I don't frighten the nice man who is coming to the door to dry out the house.  It's the least I can do.

I'll be thinking about a little verse that encourages me, I hope it encourages you too:

Colossians 3:15


Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.


Project Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment