Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Busy busy - sexy gardener

Like the catchy blog title?  Sorry - had to.  In truth there's very little that's sexy about going to the dump to get free compost for the garden - but so much to feel good about anyway!

I went today with our old truck and it was so simple.  I pulled up.  Looked around and there was nobody around this huge pile of compost.  It said to wait for an attendant, but before I could turn around, a great big front loader was grinding its way over to me.  I was in and out in under 5 minutes!  Since this was FREE COMPOST week, I just drove away.

If your local landfill doesn't have a composting program, suggest it!  Ours has been around for years now.  Every year we use it for all sorts of needs in our garden.  Is it top notch soil?  Well, its for sure not potting soil, but it builds up beds beautifully, and this year, I am going to use my free soil to even out our crazy lumpy bumpy lawn.

The compost is made from clippings from local residents that are picked up on the same day as our garbage.  To this point it has been picked up every other week, with a break over deep winter.  Then it changed to garden clippings being picked up every two weeks with no break over winter.  Now it's picked up every week right through the year, all as part of our waste management program.

It's something to feel good about.

No comments:

Post a Comment